Register your classroom or school library for a coin drive to support ocean conservation! Participating classrooms and school libraries will be entered to win a visit from New York Times bestselling author Katherine Applegate.
About Make Waves with Odder
Make Waves with Odder is designed to inspire the next generation of conservationists. Odder was inspired by the work of the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, California. Otters are a keystone species, meaning they play a critical role in maintaining the ecological health of the places where they live. Understanding how otters contribute to the health of the Earth will lead to a greater appreciation for the importance of biodiversity and conservation overall.
How to Host a Make Waves with Odder Coin Drive:
- Register today: Register your classroom or library to receive more information about the campaign at bit.ly/MakeWavesWithOdder
- Get support: Discuss the campaign with key stakeholders in your school or library and ensure you have their support
- Set a date: Choose what date you will launch the coin drive in your school and select a location for your donation container. Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group will provide signage for bulletin boards and for the donation collection containers.
- Make the announcement: Share Make Waves with Odder with your school community. Be sure to emphasize that every little bit helps when it comes to conservation. Even a little spare change can help make a big change!
- Share Odder: Consider using Odder as a read aloud in your classroom or library to help students connect with the importance of conservation
- Share your work: Share photos of your campaign with #MakeWaveswithOdder throughout the month of October
- Check back in: Once your coin drive is complete, submit your school or library for a chance to win-a-visit with Katherine Applegate by November 4th. A form will be shared with all schools registered for the event.
About the Book
Odder by Katherine Applegate
On sale September 20, 2022
A touching and lyrical tale about a remarkable sea otter, from Newbery Medalist Katherine Applegate, author of Wishtree.
Meet Odder, the Queen of Play:
Nobody has her moves.
She doesn’t just swim to the bottom,
She doesn’t just somersault,
She doesn’t just ride the waves,
she makes them.
Odder spends her days off the coast of central California, practicing her underwater acrobatics and spinning the quirky stories for which she’s known. She’s a fearless daredevil, curious to a fault. But when Odder comes face-to-face with a hungry great white shark, her life takes a dramatic turn, one that will challenge everything she believes about herself—and about the humans who hope to save her.
Inspired by the true story of a Monterey Bay Aquarium program that pairs orphaned otter pups with surrogate mothers, this poignant and humorous tale told in free verse examines bravery and healing through the eyes of one of nature’s most beloved and charming animals.
Praise for the Book
“Writing in exquisitely descriptive free verse, Applegate delivers an uplifting tale of an inquisitive sea otter pup raised by scientists after being separated from her mother. …Though humans make cameo appearances in this edifying novel about otter life, the focus remains rightfully on its enigmatic star: a lovable otter who not only survives against the odds but thrives.” —Publishers Weekly, starred review
“Based on the Monterey Bay Aquarium and its otter rescue and fostering program, this gorgeous story is told in flowing free verse that slips by as silkily as an otter in water. The unconventional form perfectly suits a story told almost entirely from Odder’s perspective, imparting dreamy observations of the natural and human worlds from an animal’s point of view. Handsome black-and-white illustrations, some of them simple studies of sea creatures, punctuate the verses; it’s almost impossible to resist the depictions of fluffy otter pups. A stunning study of a remarkable and resilient sea creature.” —Booklist, starred review